Thursday, October 4, 2012

Travellin' Pic-Stitch Blog Hop



Welcome to my stop on the Travellin' Pic-Stitch Blog Hop -- my thanks to Laura at Quokka Quilts and Katy at The Littlest Thistle for letting me play along!

While I enjoy sewing, my husband's passion is gardening, and there's nothing he loves more than a visit to one of the many garden spots we have here in Southern California. A few weeks ago we took the girls to the Fullerton Arboretum, and while they had fun inspecting a small grove of fruit trees, I wandered around taking pictures...

Near the Pond
Desert Garden
Turtle By the Waterfall
It was a hard decision, but I finally chose the waterfall, a sight you can see as you cross a little bridge into the park. Look closely at the rock in the middle of the water at the bottom -- there's a turtle sunning himself in the 107 degree heat that plagued us that afternoon. Needless to say, it wasn't a long visit that day...


Here's the color palette generated by the Palette Builder at Play Crafts -- a genius tool, if there ever was one. I love that combination of colors on the right...so restful.


I started out with a pretty large stack of prints, which I narrowed down to a smaller selection, and even one of these got tossed out by the time I was finished.


Katy's Spring Carnival block was the source of my pattern pieces, and after playing around with them for a few days, I came up with this design which I'm calling "Turtle Cove."


I like the way the center of the block suggests the shape of a turtle, and I love the text prints scattered throughout the entire piece. That bird cage at the top is one of my favorites.


A pillow cover seemed like the best place for this block to land, and I put one together a few days ago, after which it was quickly hijacked by my three daughters who insisted that they each get a turn to snuggle with it. Obviously I need to do this more often.


Do stop by Pins and Bobbins to see Chelsea's sweet tea towel design from yesterday, and visit Erin at Missy Mac Creations tomorrow for Donktober madness, this time with a Travellin' Pic-Stitch spin.

You can read up on all the details of the blog hop here, including the list of amazing sponsors who are making all this possible. Remember that you too can join in on the fun if you link up a block of your own on November 30th.

Enjoy your weekend!

27 comments:

  1. I love the layout you designed! Such a cute pillow cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its Gorgeous and I love the love story.. I have been wanting to work with print. I am going to learn alot from ya'll and hope to have a project done by Nov 30. I am excited to learn something new in such a cool way. I love using my great camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love your palette and the inspiration for it! Very nice project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your choice of fabrics to fit the palette, and the inspired way you picked up on the turtle:-) What a great block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a gorgeous design, and yes, I can see the turtle in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bird cage fabric is incredible! I haven't seen that before! Great design too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous block, lovely photos and fantastic choice of fabrics! Thanks so much for playing along!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous block, lovely photos and fantastic choice of fabrics! Thanks so much for playing along!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty pattern and it does remind me of a turtle shape! Cute pillow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful! i especially love the fussy cut birdcage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too cute! Love that you linked the turtle from the picture to the turtle in your design

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so clever - I love how it mimics the turtle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful block, it does look like a turtle, how clever! I love your choice of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the design on the cushion but also the construction, so clever to put two different fabrics at the back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is lovely, I really love your colour choices. I'm learning so much about EPP from this bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm amazed by the inspired blocks I'm seeing. Love he turtle block!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your pillow! It looks more like gears to me than a turtle, though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so lovely! That texty fabric is making me jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I also thought immediately, "Oh look it is the turtle!" So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love love love that little turtle! Beautiful colour palette too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very fun block! I like the text prints you used too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This turned out beautifully! I love the text prints so much, and the palette is great! Thank you so much for linking to our palette builder. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sweet pattern! Love the fabric choice. Thanks for sharing your hexies today. Enjoyed the visit...Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your turtle! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...