Friday, December 21, 2012

Feathers


It's just past one in the morning, and my eyes are seriously blurry from getting only a few hours sleep the night before. Between a house full of sick people (myself included) and projects which have kept me up into the wee hours, I'm running on the fumes of my last Diet Coke. Still, I wanted to share the finished quilt for my nieces, a feather quilt using Tula Pink's Prince Charming collection.


I stacked strips cut from my fat quarters for the back along with some Kona Steel. The front of the quilt is Kona Coal, which is probably one of my favorite neutral colors to use in a project. I bound the quilt in Kona Red to give it a nice contrast with the quilt top. The quilting is simply a set of random vertical lines down the length of the quilt, and the feathers have been outlined twice with a zig-zag stitch -- once before quilting and once after. I'll be honest, I wish I had not been in such a hurry when I made this one. When you cut corners here and there, it adds up quickly, and I wish I had spent more time pinning the quilt sandwich together so that there would not have been quite so much give in the layers. Live and learn...

I just finished a lap quilt for my grandmother tonight which we're planning to deliver tomorrow, but I'm not going to attempt any photos until daylight. For the moment, I'm going to see if I can sneak upstairs to get a few hours of sleep before those poor sick little munchkins start getting fussy again...

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday.


9 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic Heidi! Gorgeous fabric choices (I'm a huge fan of coal, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt! A labour of love that they will love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I think it's great that you made the feathers in different sizes, that adds the little something extra to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this - seems the feathers are the in thing at the moment, beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get some rest my dear. Your quilt is lovely. Merry Christmas .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this! Great job! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...