Thursday, May 30, 2013

Challenge


Back in March I answered a Creative Troupe Callout by C&T Publishing to make a project using Kraft-tex, a heavy duty art paper. It was quite the challenge deciding what to make, but I finally decided on a portfolio featuring the paper as the outside cover. I added a patchwork detail to the front and fabric binding along the outside edges. Sewing with paper is tricky and not nearly so forgiving as fabric. I had to rip the patchwork piece off my first attempt and try again because when I pulled out some accidental stitches, the holes were still there in the paper to remind me of my mistake. Being super careful with the second attempt had better results.


The inside has pockets for paper, utensils, cards, etc. I used some favorite fabrics for this piece, and I have to admit, it was hard to mail it off to the company knowing that it wouldn't be coming back to me. One of these days I'll have to make another to keep.

Today I'm putting the binding on my second Heather Ross quilt. This one has been in progress for a while, and I'm so happy to be wrapping it up at last. I'll have pictures for you tomorrow, so be sure to stop by!

8 comments:

  1. That's really cute! You definitely should make another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow this is fabulous! I've sewed with paper before, little hearts onto card for valentines day, you stich down the middle of the heart and then they stick up like little butterflies. It was quite tricky and like you say, any mistake and the hole is there forever! You did a great job on this, I love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a neat idea, Heidi. I wonder, how sturdy is that paper. Would it get all crushed and ripped after a while of using it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magnífic work!!!
    magnífic!!!!
    hugs

    Maria Filomena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! I have sewn on paper before too and unforgiving is exactly how I would describe it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks awesome! So many great fabrics. It would be hard to send off.

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...