Thursday, March 27, 2014

Grey Abbey Pouch

Grey Abbey Spring Hexagon Pouch by Fabric Mutt

It is such a pleasure to see the incredible amount of talent we have in the fabric industry these days. Every month it seems I'm discovering new artists who are bringing their own style to the world of textiles, and I am so enjoying the diversity of what's available to those of us who sew. Cloud 9 Fabrics has some lovely designers working within their collective, and Elizabeth Olwen is one of them. I adored her Grey Abbey collection at first sight. My first hexagon project in a while came together using several fabrics from this line.

Grey Abbey Spring Hexagon Pouch by Fabric Mutt

I decided to go with an extremely subtle color palette for this pouch: grey, cream, white, black, peach, and yellow. Prints were pulled from a mix of different designers to complement the Grey Abbey colors, yielding a look that reminds me strongly of the old small town library where I spent about half my life when I was growing up. The hexagons are stitched to a pale grey linen, and I attached a small black and cream twill tape loop on the side. The pouch is lined in a black and white star print from the new Homestead collection by Juliana Horner.

Grey Abbey Spring Hexagon Pouch by Fabric Mutt

This pouch feels like the softer side of spring. The colors and the peaceful repetition of hand sewing were quiet and calming and just what I needed this week. Every time I sew with hexagons, I remember again why I love it so much...

11 comments:

  1. Heidi, this is a beautiful little hexie pouch. I've never sewn hexies before, this makes me want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pouch definitely whispers to you! I really enjoy that low volume feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful and calm - I love it! EPP is so relaxing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love your projects! Your fabric choices always appeal to me and you have very clever and creative ideas. You know, I have never sewn a hexie. I am very, very good at admiring other people's hexie projects though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful! I love all the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am completely in love with this pouch. Clearly I need to learn to do EPP, because I'm not sure I can live without one of these :) Although I'm not certain I could put together the fabrics as beautifully as you have done. Just lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous! I love the fabrics you chose, and these hexies on the pouch!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a beautiful grouping of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful! I love those yellow daisy flowers. Hexie hand stitching is one of my favourite things to do. I'm nearing the end of my hexie project and already wondering what I'll take up next for hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this little pouch. So darling

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...