Friday, January 16, 2015

Etched (And What I'm Doing in June)


This week I had the chance to play with some fabric designed by the wonderful people at Hawthorne Threads. They were kind enough to send me two pieces from their new Etched collection to make into something fun. I had originally planned to turn these into a little clutch, but they turned out to be exactly what I needed to corral all my planning supplies for one of the biggest projects I've ever tackled: our family's upcoming move to Texas this June.


But first let's talk about the fabric. I would agree with some other reviewers that the Hawthorne Threads fabric is a little stiffer than your typical designer quilting cotton, but since I was using the prints to make a large pouch, that wasn't a problem for me. I paired Vanes in Tulip with Essex linen in Flax for the exterior, saving the charcoal Hexie Bramble print for the pouch lining. A grey zipper accented with a leather pull was the final touch. The finished pouch is 13 x 16" -- just the right size to hold my master planning binder, moving box inventory, and any other papers I don't want to lose along the way.

Etched is the latest collection designed by Hawthorne Threads, coming out this month, and I think it's their best yet. The simplicity of the prints and the pairing of just a few well chosen colors (charcoal, glacier blue, indigo, and tulip) on white make them absolutely perfect for modern accessories and home decor projects.


So Texas... Our family is really excited about making our first out-of-state move this summer, but the process is pretty overwhelming. Between managing the house, home schooling the girls, sewing, blogging, working on upcoming promotional stuff for my book, and now starting the process of purging and packing...well, life is more than a little crazy these days. I'm learning to take things one day at a time -- sometimes one hour at a time. And let's just say that I'm definitely keeping Diet Coke and Ghirardelli Chocolate in business...

Happy weekend

17 comments:

  1. I hate that we won't have lived in the same state for at least a little while. :(

    Obviously, I'm excited for you! And cute makes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats and good luck on the move! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That IS big news! Good luck keeping all your balls in the air! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Supe cute pouch! And congrats on the move! Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute zipper pouch! Good luck with your big move to Texas! I've always liked it here! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Texas is the best! I've moved from the Texas coast to Central Texas and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your pouch Heidi, such a good idea to have something handmade to keep your 'make-a-home' plans together. A new start is always exciting, if not a little stressful. One task at a time with plenty of just-for-Heidi sewing time in between.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely (and useful!) pouch. These fabrics look beautiful. I prefer thicker fabric for bags and pouches.
    Looking forward to your book! Happy planning, so many exciting things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pouch and a great idea for keeping all your moving papers together :)
    I've had some friends live in Texas and they absolutely loved it! Good luck on your move and I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome... well almost... to Texas the greatest state!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness!!! Texas!! Do you know where in Texas yet? Moving to Texas was one of the best decisions my husband and I have made, I know you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pouch is adorable and best of luck with the moving prep. Lists, lists and more lists are your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow - how exciting Heidi. Will your parents be moving with you as well? Transitions are hard work but exciting and fun too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome to Texas. I'm a native Texan and I love my state. I think you will love it too! Especially in late October at Quilt Festival time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The fabric and your pouch are both beautiful! You have a big year ahead and I wish you and your family all the best with it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heidi, I've often marveled at your skill in keeping on keeping on! I'm loving all your latest work, exclusively those fun ode to designer love squares you've been sewing recently. Wishing you stamina and creativity for your Texas move!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heidi, I've often marveled at your skill in keeping on keeping on! I'm loving all your latest work, exclusively those fun ode to designer love squares you've been sewing recently. Wishing you stamina and creativity for your Texas move!

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...